Sunday 24 March 2013

Sometimes It Is The Little Things (In No Particular Order)


Attachment – It is curious indeed that there are things you think about getting rid of and those that you should get rid of, but they hang around. In my case I came on this journey with the intent to purchase a new gore-tex style jacket, quite hopefully from Jack Wolfskin. As it turns out my blue Marmot coat is still with me and will continue to be with me until it decides that it has had enough. I have been through driving rain, sleet, snow, hail, and even a spilled cup of coffee and it has weathered as well as it did on day one. It has become extremely comfortable, I know all the ins and outs of the jacket, and for the students it fit right in as Ken also had a blue outer coat. I can’t lie, the decision was made all the easier by the even higher prices for this type of jacket in Europe.
            On the other side are my shoes, two of the pairs don’t have great tread left and have given all they can. Even so, they made the train ride up to Brussels from Freiburg and they are now getting ready to make it back over to the U.K. For one pair, I think these are hanging around just because there is room for them rather than a true lingering attachment. For the other they hang around because they have been go-to shoes for so long. Even now they are the ones I am wearing for the relaxing portion of my journey. I think the first pair is likely to go if I can find the right bottle of single malt to bring back. The second is likely to remain around for the return trip.

Good Breakfast – It is amazing how one’s outlook improves with the right breakfast. Yesterday for the first time in Brussels there were scrambled eggs offered. Even though the weather was a combination of sleet, snow, and high winds, the outlook for the day was bright and encouraging. Over the past week I have gotten used to having strawberry or cherry yoghurt mixed into granola and a croissant. It has been nice and easy, but having eggs was just such a great change. Our place during the past 8 or 9 days just wasn’t close to any breakfast place, so we just put up with it. In contrast our place for the weekend was a little more central and the breakfast was just right. I don’t think it hurt that I didn’t have a major day planned, but the eggs were definitely a welcome change.

Quick Metro Connections – The slowest train/tram/subway connection was actually this morning on the way to the airport and I will discount that one as we have over an inch of snow and based on the long trip into Brussels I was happy that it was just 8 minutes delayed. Every other time in Brussels, and even in Freiburg, our connection times between rides was five minutes or less. The number of times that I got off one train/tram and went to the other track to just walk onto an awaiting train was stunning. It felt good that it happened that way and I can either attribute it to a great deal of continual luck or I can say that things were efficient. If that was the nature of the good luck here, so be it, but I’m not inclined to think that as the case.

Walkability – Even with the prior statement about good connections, most of the time was spent walking. I have been going all over the place on foot. There are a good number of days where I came back to the hostel or the hotel just wanting to kick off my shoes and just raise my feet, but often there was enough time to freshen up, relax for a little bit, and then go out in search of dinner. That was much more the case in Brussels since our meals weren’t provided, and it was difficult to find a meal that was not overly expensive. It was a journey unto itself every night. Needless to say in both of these places food was such that it was necessary to keep walking about. I got a very good sense of both cities over the time I was here, although in all honesty I saw much more of Freiburg as it is smaller, than I saw of Brussels. In the latter I remained mostly within what would be considered the old city, and while that is sizeable, it still wasn’t as far and wide because it is now a sprawling urban area with a population similar to Minneapolis – St. Paul.

A One Bag Life – I have been living out of my 60 litre duffel back the whole time and even today when I checked it at the airport (thank goodness it was a partnered flight with United – no bag check fees) it weighed only 13kg. I have had students send home that much and more in the way of souvenirs and other junk. In fact on Friday there were about a dozen students who had 8kg boxes full of stuff that was going back home from Brussels. A good number of those same students also sent a similar sized box home from Freiburg. I could actually add even a bit more to my duffel and still have it close easily and comfortably. I do also have my computer bag, but I purposefully chose one that was a bit thinner so that I couldn’t put too much in it. Going back to my original point, I have gone comfortably through the past three weeks with just 4 pairs of pants, 3 dress shirts, 2 quarter zip pullovers (one being fleece), 4 tee shirts, and 3 pairs of shoes. It all easily fits in the duffel, along with a whole bunch of my work stuff. I think the only down side is that I would like to have something else to wear once in a while. It is a fleeting thought, but it does come up from time to time.
Technically it is two, counting the computer bag. Still just one bag of clothes.

Laundry – Funny how good it feels to have fully clean and laundered clothes. In Freiburg I was doing regular mini loads of sink laundry, hung out to dry on the carabineer cord. This worked pretty well but the laundry sheets were never guaranteed to be thorough. On our day off last Tuesday we found a local launderette and finally got a full washing of the clothes done. I have savored every little bit of these clean items throughout the week. I can even identify that I have one clean tee shirt and a fully clean pair of pants that I have not worn since laundry, saving it for that needed moment. The students were driven nearly to panic in Freiburg that there was no laundry in the hostel. A number of them wouldn’t consider doing sink laundry, even though it works when needed. They ultimately had to find a laundry service in town because there wasn’t a readily available launderette. In Brussels I’m not sure any other guests at the hostel could have done their laundry during the length of our stay because the students always seemed to need to do more laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment