Saturday 23 March 2013

Last Full Day in Brussels

It is amazing to think that just three weeks ago I was arriving in Freiburg to teach the class for the International Traveling Classroom. Tonight the group meal marks the end of my time with the ITC group and the only thing that remains is to grade two sets of papers. The final has been given, graded, and in an ideal situation will be returned tonight. I say in an ideal situation because I would love not to have to travel with these exams as well.

The plan for the last day is actually a simple one - finally head out to the Atomium and take a short visit there. Stop by the national stadium to see if I can find the plaque showing respects to the Heysel Stadium Disaster. Finally a wee wander down to the local brewery for a tour and a tasting. With all of that done it will then just be a simple matter of the group meal at Chez Leon. I suppose my arm could also be twisted for one stop into Delirum Tremens on the wander back after dinner, maybe. No late night tonight, got to be off and running by 6am tomorrow.


Ken did a great job getting us to a different hotel for these last couple of nights. It may take an extra five minutes of walking to get to the train station at an "oh my god it's early" hour tomorrow, but this place is definitely worth it. It is just too bad that there was a medical conference in town last week because the room prices prior to yesterday were crazy, stupid high.

I figure I have some slow time later today and will get things caught up on what the rest of the week was like here. Brussels is slow to grow on you, it just doesn't quickly embrace you. Ken and I were talking that we were finally feeling like we were getting more of a sense of at least the old town elements of the city. It still has a fair number of rough edges, especially during the night time, but it is definitely a place to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment